Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Clearance Rack Wedding

I am a clearance rack shopper. It is rare for me to purchase things not on a clearance rack; I have to absolutely love it for it come home for less than 40% off.  I come by it naturally--my Grandma Karen is a professional clearance rack shopper, and she's taught everyone in the family well.

With our tiny budget wedding, we cut corners and costs everywhere we can.  We are doing most things ourselves (including recruiting family members to collect months worth of recyclables and growing all of the plants from seed), and we have been taking advantage of every sale and coupon we can get our hands on.  It's even better when I can get it from a clearance rack.

We have opted to use paper flowers for our wedding. One because it's cheaper, two because we get to DIY them, and three because we will be ultimately be creating less waste by reusing the paper flowers as decorations later. I've been experimenting and creating various prototypes, but the idea of making enough for bouquets, boutonnieres, and table garlands was overwhelming. They are incredibly tedious to create.

Then I found the perfect solution! A Cricut cartridge that cuts all the pieces for you and also creates easy assembly. Unfortunately Cricut cartridges are not cheap and you can't use coupons on them. Joann Fabrics was running an online sale, and while less than normal, only 15% off was painful to accept.

Emily thought that we should go the store and check it out before making a purchase. On our wandering to the scrap-booking section, we found a clearance rack tucked in the back corner; in all its glory, it was a disorganized mess of irrelevant craft odds and ends. It was a bust except for one thing: on the top shelf was a random assortment of old Cricut cartridges.

Emily started to browse through them when she pulled one out and handed it to me.  Lo and behold, there it was: the cartridge I had my eye on, covered in dust. The little red clearance sticker was a message of fate. We even found an additional one with different types of flowers on it.  For $40 I walked away with TWO cartridges designed for creating 3D flowers PERFECT for our needs.  I can't wait to start putting them together.

Now we just need some cheap card stock!



Lavender modeling a practice flower made from one of the new cartridges!




No comments:

Post a Comment